Messy

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grateful

After one long day, I found myself driving home from helping my hubby a little pouty...okay, alot pouty. I had this conversation in my head about all the reasons I was justified to be tired and why it was okay to excuse myself from any sort of emotional filter. Instead of pleading with the Lord to fill me up, I wanted a "hall pass" to walk into my house and be in my mood. The Lord had other plans...He just kept messing with me, as He usually does, and kept prompting me to be grateful.

Now as crazy at it may sound, sometimes I know when I am unwilling to let go of my mood and simply want to stay in it...basking in how it feels to be grumpy, complain, and justify it all. I know when I am intentionally ignoring God and choosing self over Him. But, I know better. It's kind of like the battle I have with my kiddos when I let them know who is going to ultimately win the battle. For I know, my patience will usually far outlast theirs. Are you seeing the parallel here? Ultimately, the Lord is going to outlast me and win the battle. So I don't know why my stubborn heart does not give in so easily and move on...but now it has.

I can't help but change my perpspective and be grateful when I look at my sweet family. As I write this, my oldest is engrossed and almost giddy about a sweet little book for girls and changes they experience. My middle daughter is snuggled up on a couch with my mom reading a book. And my youngest is bouncing around the house singing. They have been helpful tonight (unmprompted) and not complained once about anything. My sweet husband is working tonight, but even still, I can appreciate the incredible hours he has put into his job these last weeks and his amazing work ethic. He loves his job as stressful as it may be at times, loves to come home to his family, and loves the Lord. I have amazing friends that seem to know just what to say and when to say it. I have amazing parents that love their grandchildren and children, too. So tonight I embrace what I should have hours ago. Tonight I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment